Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Happiness is...Banh Mi Pizza

One of my favorite things in the whole world is a Banh Mi Sandwich. That wonderful Vietnamese baguette filled with lovely things like Roasted Pork, Fried Tofu, Liver Pate, Pickled Daikon, flavorful sauces, and liberally topped with fresh herbs like Cilanto, Mint, and Basil.  So Light.  So Fresh.  So Yummy.

Well, yesterday at work we were taste testing some Banh Mi Sandwiches.  They. Were. Terrible.  Too much sauce.  Indistinguishable meat.  Just because you throw some pickled carrot and fresh cilantro on a roll (which was awesome), that doesn't make it a Banh Mi.  So Disappointed.


Now all I want is a good Banh Mi Sandwich!

But unfortunately I had a ton of leftovers at home and so I forced myself to be good and eat at home.

But it got me thinking...

1. About how good a Banh Mi Sandwich would be.

2. Could I make one at home?

3. What variations of Banh Mi are there?

I realized, I really don't want to make Banh Mi at home.  I enjoy going out to discover new spots to enjoy this delicious paper wrapped sandwich.  You could call it a hobby...

Pizza! I love making pizza at home, and how good would a Banh Mi one be? Awesome, me thinks!

Here's what I came up with:

Banh Mi Pizza

1 1 lb. frozen Pizza Dough Ball ~or~ your favorite Pizza Crust of choice
1/4 c. Sriracha Mayonnaise
1/2 lb. Fried Tofu, sliced (you could use sliced Chicken, Beef, or Pork, whatever...)
1 c. quick pickled shredded Carrots (White Vinegar, Sugar, Soy Sauce)
1/2 c. pickled Daikon Radish, julienned
1-2 fresh Jalapenos, sliced
1/4 c. Peanut Sauce
1/2-1 c. Fresh Herbs (I used a mix of Thai Basil, Mint, and Cilantro)

Preheat Oven to 425˚

Stretch ~or~ roll out your Pizza Dough on a baking sheet.

I always turn my baking sheet upside-down because it makes it easier to slide off later.

You could spread a little cornmeal on the pan if you are afraid of sticking. My pan is well seasoned...



Spread the Sriracha Mayonnaise over the crust, like you would pizza sauce.


Sriracha Mayonnaise:
 1/4 c. Mayonnaise ~or~ Veganaise
 1-3 T. Sriracha Sauce*, to taste

Place both ingredients in a small bowl and combine well.

*I like the one with the Rooster on the package.


Top the pizza with sliced Fried Tofu, pickled Carrots & Daikon, and sliced Jalapeño.

I only added 1 sliced jalapeño, but add as much as you can handle.

This was the first time I used a store bought pickled Daikon, and though it was good, I think next time I would quick pickle some fresh daikon, like I did the carrots.

I do like how colorful this pizza looks right now.





Drizzle a scant 1/4 c. of Peanut Sauce over the top of the pizza. 

Peanut Sauce:
1/2 c. creamy Peanut Butter
1 T. fresh Lime Juice
1 T. Soy Sauce
1 T. Sugar
2 t. Sriracha Sauce
1/2 t. fresh Garlic, minced
1/2 t. toasted Sesame Oil
1/4 c. Hot Water

Place all ingredients in a medium mixing bowl.
Whisk well until combined and smooth.
Add more water, a teaspoon at a time, if too thick.

Makes 3/4-1 cup sauce

Place the pizza in the  preheated oven for 17-20 minutes, until the crust is crispy and golden brown.

Let the pizza cool a few minutes before topping with the Fresh Herbs.

I don't even chop the herbs up, I just pick them off the stems. Except for the cilantro, the stems are tender and delicious.

I love this pizza, it's light and flavorful, and I can't wait to make it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment