Monday, May 3, 2010

Happiness is...Pineapple Upside-Down Cake

 

My Mom and I share a love for an old standard, Pineapple Upside-Down Cake.  It is my Mom's favorite cake and I would have to say that it is my favorite too.  Yum. Yum. Yum.

Growing up, we didn't have it very often, probably because my Dad didn't like it.  But, when my Dad went off camping or fishin' my Mom would break out the good ol' box of Bisquick Baking Mix and we would have an Upside-Down Cake in no time.

There is something so homey and charming about a Pineapple Upside-Down Cake; dense, rich cake topped with brown sugar pineapple rings, all buttery and gooey...sometimes made fancy with vibrant almond scented maraschino cherries and sometimes with walnuts and sometimes with nothing but the pineapple.  And, not only is a Pineapple Upside-Down Cake already decorated when it is flipped out of it's baking pan, but it is also ready to eat.  It is good hot, room temperature, or chilled.  I really do ❤ P.U.D.C.

I bake cookies and quick breads and sconey type things at home, but I've never really taken to cake baking.  I've always had crappy hand-me-down ovens and never seem to have enough people around to justify making a whole cake.  Why make cake at home when there are professionals out there that can do it so well...except for the P.U.D.C.  When was the last time you saw it on a dessert menu or in a bakery (and not a Wal-mart bakery)?

So, until my Aunt Du-Du (that's the Chinese spelling) made it for a party, the last time I visited, I had very nearly forgotten the delight that is P.U.D.C.  And now, I am addicted.  For two weeks I dreamt of her cake, it was so spongey and rich, so different from the shortcakey/pancakey/biscuity type cake my Mom always made.  I was thinking about it so much that I actually found myself gathering the ingredients to make my own when I was at the grocery store.

My first attempt was good but far from what I wanted.  The topping turned out perfect, caramely and crispy around the edges but the cake was crumbly like a biscuit and it was missing something.  
The next day I tried again, opting to use a mixture of sour cream and pineapple juice instead of plain milk for the liquid in the cake.  This time it was definitely more cake-like but not exactly right and still missing a flavor element.  

Two days later, after giving everyone I know the fruits of my last two attempts, I tried again with great success.  My cake turned out dense, moist, and spongey, though slightly pink from the addition of maraschino cherry juice (I like the pink).  The cake is also only slighly sweetened to compliment the buttery brown sugar topping and the sweet pineapple rings.  Just what I was aiming for and the recipe I came up with is super easy too!

Pineapple Upside-Down Cake

Topping:
3 T. Butter, cut into cubes
3/4 c. Brown Sugar, firmly packed
6 Pineapple Rings, drained  and juice reserved
6-12 (depending on size) Maraschino Cherries, drained and juice reserved
1/2 c. Walnuts, roughly chopped

Cake:
1/2 c. cold Butter, cut into cubes
1/2 c. Sugar
1 Egg
1 1/2 c. all-purpose Flour
1 1/2 t. Baking Powder
1/2 t. Kosher Salt
1/2 c. Sour Cream
1/2 c. reserved Pineapple Juice
1 t. Vanilla Extract
2 T. reserved Maraschino Cherry Juice

Pre-heat the oven to 375˚.

Place the cubed Butter, for the topping, in a 10-inch round cake pan; place in the heated oven.  When the butter is melted and bubbling take the pan out of the oven and sprinkle in the Brown Sugar evenly; place back in the oven and cook until butter and brown sugar begin to bubble. Pull the pan out of the oven and arrange the Pineapple Rings in the bottom of the pan.  Place 1-2 Maraschino Cherries in the center of each pineapple ring and then sprinkle in Walnuts; Set aside.

In a bowl, whisk together the Flour, Baking Powder, and Kosher Salt; Set aside.

In another bowl, blend the Sour Cream, Pineapple Juice, Vanilla Extract, and Maraschino Cherry Juice; Set aside.

In a standing mixer, fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the cubed Butter, for the cake; gradually add in the Sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Add the Egg and beat well. Add 1/3 of the dry ingredients and then 1/2 of the sour cream mixture; beat well after each addition. Keep adding aternatley dry and wet ingredients, ending with dry ingredients. 

Pour the batter over your pineapple design and spread evenly. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. 

Let the cake cool for about 5 minutes before turning it out onto a serving plate. Serve warm, at room temperature, or chilled (your choice).  Eat!


No comments:

Post a Comment