Monday, March 1, 2010

Fried Green Tomato Sandwich with My Remoulade

     I love Fried Green Tomatoes.  I love Sandwiches.  I love Fried Green Tomato Sandwiches!!!  It's actually a Bacon, Lettuce, and Fried Green Tomato Sandwich, and it is divoon!
     First, the green tomatoes.  Finding them is the hardest task, as they are not available all year round and very few grocery stores in the NW carry them at all (ever!).  So you have to grow them yourself or pray your local farmers market will produce a crop for you.  I personally go around to my neighbors, in late fall, knocking on doors offering to take them off their hands, as the majority of all green tomatoes around here are left to rot in the garden.  Once I have my hands on the tart green orbs, I begin preparing them for frying (plus I leave some to be pickled at another time).  I like the tomatoes sliced on the thin side, no more than a 1/4 in. thick, because the tomato actually softens while cooking and the flavor becomes more intense.  Next I prefer a dry coating, as opposed to a wet batter, just dredged in seasoned flour, then egg, then cornmeal.  This coating makes a nice, light, crisp crust that doesn't overpower the delicate flavor and texture of the tomato.  I coat and freeze about 5 lb. of green tomatoes every year so I can enjoy them all year long.  I just pull them out of the freezer and fry em' up.
     Back to the sandwich...I prefer thick sliced Black Pepper coated Bacon, cooked really crisp.  It is mandatory to assemble this sandwich on toasted 100% Whole Grain Bread (right now I'm eating Dave's Killer Powerseed Bread).  Slather both sides with Remoulade, made the traditional way with chopped egg in it, lots of leafy lettuce, then the bacon, and top it all off with the freshly fried, crisp green tomatoes.  This sandwich, just like the bread, is Killer!

My Remoulade Sauce

1 c. Mayonnaise
1 T. Cornichon, minced
1 T. small Capers, drained
1 T. fresh Parsley, finely chopped
1/4 t. dried Tarragon
1 small clove Garlic, finely minced
1/2 t. Worcestershire Sauce
1/2 t. Dijon Mustard
1/8 t. Cayenne Pepper
1 hard-boiled Egg, finely chopped
Kosher Salt, to taste
Black Pepper, to taste

In a small mixing bowl add all the ingredients and stir together well.
Transfer to a storage bowl or container.
Allow to rest for at least an hour before using, to allow flavors to blend.

No comments:

Post a Comment