Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Happiness is...The Corti Special

My Dad and I share a special fondness for Corti Brothers. We have been going there for as long as I can remember.  It seems every trip to Sacramento has to include a visit to this amazing Italian Market/Deli. 

I have been to Italian Markets in lots of cities, big and small, and Corti Brothers is by far my favorite.  There is something about it...it's not fancy, it's not trendy...it's a grocery store, with great stuff and a great smell (there is nothing like the smell that hits you as the door opens in front of you).

I love walking up and down each aisle to see the awesome array of pastas and chocolates and pickles and giant beans and cheeses and crackers and cheesecakes and pestos and wines and Ouzos and Amarettos and I could go on and on.   And, they always have samples!  Last time I had a fresh mozzarella with fresh cream in the center, it was like mozzarella wrapped around a center of butter...so good.

But that's not why we keep going back.  We keep going back for the CORTI SPECIAL.  The Holy Grail of Sandwiches. The CORTI SPECIAL will make you regret the years you've wasted eating other sandwiches.  This is the one.

Let's begin our tour on the bottom floor with a thick layer of Provolone Cheese.  Then we move into the meaty layers of ham, mortadella, cotto, prosciutto, coppa, and toscano salami.  Top it all off with pepperoncini, garlic pickles, red onions, lettuce, tomatoes, salt & pepper, spicy mustard and fresh mayonnaise on a sesame seed Italian Roll.  From the time you unfold the clean white paper until you crumple it up when you are finished you are in for a treat.   You won't find better for $4.49!!!

Actually thay make all kinds of sandwiches at the Corti Deli Counter.  Delicious I'm sure, with cured and smoked meats, exotic cheeses, roasted veggies and pickled peppers, but I have never strayed.  I have only ever had The CORTI SPECIAL.  If I was ever to try another sandwich I think I would choose the DaVinci, with grilled Italian sausage, roasted red peppers and housemade mozzarella cheese...doesn't that sound good?

http://www.cortibros.biz/

3 comments:

  1. Mmmmmm! That looks so good. I think I need to go and get one when I get paid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should get the one with sausage...and a Corti Special too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for the post. keep real italian deli alive. keep them in business by shopping at these one of a kind places instead of whole foods and all the other crap out there. long live corti bros.

    ReplyDelete